A recumbent exercise bike is the other name of the safe, comfy and durable workout. Not all can do a strenuous workout in an upright exercise bike. As a result, they look for a recumbent exercise bike as an alternative. So, keeping this aspect in mind, today I am going to introduce you to Nautilus R616 Recumbent bike. Well, Nautilus R616 recumbent bike was released in the second part of 2017. This bike is widely known for being a very highly rated model. Construction of the bike is very user-friendly, comfortable and has some versatile features to count. Despite being a high-end model, the price of the bike is moderately low than any other high rated exercise machine. In this Nautilus R616 recumbent bike, you are going to get more workout programs, extra resistance levels, and higher ergonomics. As I can see you have focused on this model therefore, I will directly take you to the Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike review. Here I will try to give you an overall in and out idea about this recumbent bike.
So, let’s get started!
Nautilus R616’s frame is designed with steel and it’s coated with anti-corrosive paint. Besides that, the bike’s frame also features plastic parts. Such as shrouds for the machine’s drive mechanism or seat base and they act as a cosmetic shield to the bike. However, the bodyweight of the user is held by the steel base assembly of the saddle. Assembled bike’s weight is not that heavy, where it weighs only 91.9 lbs. and it can handle maximum weight up to 300 lbs.
The main framework of the bike has a single portion that provides comprehensive sturdiness to the bike. It includes a small stabilizer that has a rubber cap in the middle section. This rubber cap enhances the bike’s stability. While the front base is covered with non-adjustable, rectangular rubber pads. And the rear base of the bike rest over an adjustable, sizeable stabilizer.
There are caster wheels at the front base that helps in the transportation of the bike. Again, the rear bar consists of an integrated handle, facilitates the shifting of the bike on the front wheels.
Resistance and Drive System:
Recumbent bike Nautilus R616 features a motorized magnetic resistance system to produce pull on to the flywheel. You can exclusively supervise the resistance using the console. However, you can adjust the resistance as you pedal. Also, the resistance is auto-adjusted when you are working out with any of the preset programs. As the bike uses eddy current resistance that’s why it needs to be connected with a power circuit. For this reason, the bike comes with an adapter rated 120V 60Hz input / 9VDC 1500 mA output.
There are 25 levels of resistance to choose from. Lower resistance levels are perfect for elderly adults or anyone who needs recovery training. While the 23-25 levels of resistance offer tough and challenging training for a steady cardio session.
Drive system of the bike consists of a belt drive that ensures a silent and smooth operation. So, you don’t have to stay bothered about the squeaking sound of the machine. Besides the belt drive requires no oiling or other lubrication like the chain drive.
The console consists of two monitor screens, the top and the bottom where both the screen has a blue LED backlight. Top monitor screen is larger and it indicates your workout statistics. Again, the bottom monitor is comparatively smaller and it monitors your workout values. Here are various keys for several works. Such as:
- There are keys to adjust direct and gradual resistance.
- Keys for goal tracking.
- Start and pause keys.
- User profiles and program keys.
Screen of the console display time, speed, distance, RPM, heart rate, calories, and also current level of resistance. 29 built-in workout programs include the following things:
They are segment-based workout programs that include stream crossing, pike’s peak, rolling hills, ride in the park, mount hood, summit pass, easy tour, pyramids, uphill finish, cross-training, stairs, and intervals.
9 for heart rate:
Heart rate programs use the EKG sensors integrated into the bike’s handlebars. Again, the bike is also telemetric so it can track pulse via an HR chest strap. That works within the range of 4.5-5.5 kHz.
4 custom programs:
You can customize own programs and re-use them. It’s a plus point for multiple users so that they can have their customized programs.
2 fitness tests:
This program is meant to measure your current fitness level.
1 Quick start:
It is the manual mode of the bike, where you can pedal freely and able to adjust the resistance as per your wish.
1 recovery test:
Recovery test programs track how your heart recovers from the workout.
Console of the bike is also Bluetooth enabled that can sync with other Bluetooth devices using the Nautilus® trainer app. Using this app, you can move your fitness data to NautilusConnect or MyFitnessPal. Thus, in this way you keep track of your workout progress.
There is also a USB and charging port in the console. You can export/import your data using the USB port. And again, at the top it there is a charging port where you can charge any smartphones or tablets.
Moreover, the console also features some extras like acoustic chambered speakers, cooling fan, and a media shelf.
Seat and Handlebars:
Nautilus R616 bike features a well-padded, comfortable and contoured seat. There is a backrest in the bike’s seat that is ergonomically designed with tough polyurethane material. Backrest features a ventilation design that allows airflow and prevents your spine from overheating during the intense workout.
Plus, the backrest provides extra lumbar support that includes a convex shape and it is contoured. Thus, it can offer a perfect fit for your body. Furthermore, the seat is a 2-way adjustable that can drift and features a locking mechanism with multiple positions of the seat. Likewise, the seat can be adjusted back and forth with respect to the pedals. In general, the seat can adjust user having a height range between 5’0″ and 6’7″.
In the case of handlebars, then this bike has two types of handlebars- both recumbent and front handlebars. Both the handlebars are covered with rubberized foam that provides firm grip and support during the workout.
Here the recumbent handlebars are connected to the seat and it drifts with the seat on the adjustment rail. The handlebars have integrated pulse sensors that can track your heart rate while you hold it. Moreover, the front handlebars are placed on the console post that has a pretty easy setup.
Pedal and Crank:
Pedal of the bike has adjustable foot straps so that you can adjust it according to your fit. Hence you can have a firm grip while you work out. Additionally, the bike features a strong crankset that has solid steel crank arms. Plus, the pedals with the crankset can suit any type of athletic shoes for the workout. Due to the inertia-enhanced flywheel, the pedaling motion of the bike is smooth, stable and quiet. If you want you can pedal in reverse that will be tracked by the console. Anyways, if needed then you can replace the pedal with any other standard pedals.
Assembly and Maintenance:
First of all, the resistance system and drive come pre-assembled in the bike. Mainframe has attached entire drive system that is covered by the plastic wraps. Still, the bike needs some assembly of the following parts:
- Attaching the base stabilizers to the frame.
- Installing the seat.
- Connecting console mast and the console.
- Attaching pedals.
- Lastly, put different plastic covers.
A good amount of screws is there to tighten up the parts, that’s why the entire assembly might take about 1 hr. or 1 and ½ hr.
If you face any problems while setting up the bike then you can check up the manual guide instructions for guidance.
For maintenance you don’t have much to do, just keep the bike dust free and that’s enough.
- Product’s weight: 91.9 lbs.
- Supported weight: 300 lbs.
- Dimension: 65.3’’ Length X 28.3 ‘’ Width X 49.6’’ Height
- Type: Recumbent
- Brand: Nautilus
- Resistance: 25 levels, magnetic resistance
- Drive: Belt drive
- Flywheel: Inertia-enhanced flywheel
- Seat: Backrest, well-cushioned, 2-way adjustable and contoured
- Handlebars: Fixed, integrated grip pulse sensors
- Console: 2 LCD screen, 29 preset programs, Bluetooth enabled, MyFitnessPal and NautilusConnect compatible.
- Extras: Acoustic chambered speakers, 3-speed cooling fan, water bottle holder, USB and charging port, media shelf
- Warranty: Frame 10 years, Parts and Electronics 3 years and Labor 1 year
- Belt drive system requires no lubrication for operation and gives a quiet ride.
- Dual LCD screen monitor that readout various important workout stats.
- Built-in 29 preset workout programs enable you to challenge yourself for a great cardio workout.
- 25 levels of magnetic resistance that is console controlled and have progressing resistance levels.
- Oversized foot pedals with adjustable foot straps offer you a comfortable firm grip while you pedal.
- Media shelf and water bottle holder are included with the bike.
- Bluetooth enabled and has charging and USB port.
- Well-padded, 2-way adjustable contoured seat with backrest provides maximum support while you seat for a ride.
- Grip pulse sensors and telemetry enable LCD console.
- Transport wheels are there in the stabilizers for easy transportation of the bike.
- Comfortable and well-padded, contoured seat.
- Sturdy design with easy step-thru feature.
- Maximum weight bearing capacity up to 300 lbs.
- 29 built-in programs to help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Dual LCD screen console that tracks important workout data.
- Water bottle holder is available to keep you hydrated in the longer workout.
- Media shelf is included.
- Backrest provides complete support to your back.
- Bluetooth compatible console, USB and charging port.
- Affordable price.
- Easy assembly.
- Low maintenance.
- Great warranty deal.
- Not foldable, as a result, can’t store up vertically.
- HR chest straps are not given with the bike.
- Cooling fans are not so powerful.
- Smartphones or tablets placed on the media shelf may cover up the console screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I pedal in reverse?
Ans: Yes, pedaling in reverse order is possible.
- Does this bike require to be connected with a power circuit?
Ans: Yes, it requires to be connected with a power circuit. Therefore, it comes with an adapter rated 120V 60Hz input / 9VDC 1500 mA output.
- In between what ranges an HR chest straps works?
Ans: An HR chest straps works within 4.5-5.5 kHz range.
- Can I ride the bike wearing spin shoes?
Ans: Unfortunately, the supplied pedals of the bike aren’t equipped with clips for spin shoes
Look for a trustworthy site whenever you are making a deal online to buy this product. Also, don’t forget to check its online reviews and ratings.
The Nautilus R616 is a high-end commercial grade recumbent bike that comes at a very reasonable price. Some features like lots of resistance levels, 29 workout programs, Bluetooth compatibility, and a great display makes the Nautilus R616 an amazing bike that is worth trying. Overall, it’s an excellent choice for beginners. As well as for those who want to have light to medium-intensity workouts and a great cardio session.
So, that’s it. I hope you like our Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike Review.
Thanks for reading!