Did any of your friends suggest you to use a stationary bike for weight loss? Or simply you want to stay fit and healthy? But don’t know how and someone suggested you to use a stationary bike. But you don’t know what is stationary bike? And what is the stationary bike good for? Then you came to the right place!
What is stationary bike?
A stationary bike is one of the best indoor exercising equipment. It is best for people of all ages. It is cardiovascular equipment which is very easy to use.
The stationary bike is a special type of bike looking like a bicycle but it lacks wheels. It only contains a saddle, pedals and handlebars.
Types of stationary bike :
The stationary bike can be of different types. They can be computerized or non-computerized. Some stationary bikes can also have a resistance mechanism. Resistance mechanism means magnets, fans and friction mechanisms. Different stationary bikes come with different benefits.
Recumbent bike :
In a recumbent bike, the pedals are kept forward. And while using the bike you need to lean a bit backward. It is good for those who have joint problems or injuries and back pain.
Spin bike :
A spin bike has heavy flywheels which demand a great workout effort. Thus, helps to burns more calories.
Upright bike :
An upright bike has a higher center of gravity. The upright bike helps you to work out with the whole body. In this bike, pedals are positioned under the body. It is a great workout for strengthening legs and core muscles.
Dual-action bike :
A dual-action bike is similar to the upright bike but it comes with an additional set of moving handlebars. This allows the rider to do arm movement while pedaling.
What does stationary bike do?
Working out on a stationary bike is an efficient and effective way to burn body fat. At the same time, it also strengthens the muscles and legs. And it also improves the heart, lungs and brain functionality. The stationary bike workout provides less stress to the joints. The stationary bike workout boosts the immune system and also helps you lose weight.
What stationary bike do related to losing weight?
- Working out on a stationary bike can help you control the intensity of your workout.
- This type of bikes reduces the risk of getting injured.
- The stationary bike can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
- It helps to keep the body fit and healthy.
- It increases your life expectancy.
Benefits other than weight loss :
- Working out on the stationary bike improves health and fitness.
- It helps toning legs, arms, back, and chest.
- The stationary bike also improves body muscles.
- It helps to increase brain and heart functionality. And also increases join functionality.
- Exercising reduces diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and cholesterol levels.
- The stationary bikes are safer to use than cycling on the road.
- It most importantly boosts the cardio fitness.
- Exercising increases the chance of your living longer.
What does stationary bike work for?
A stationary bike works for improving the body muscles. Working out on a stationary bike helps to develop your muscles mass. It improves heart muscles, legs and thigh muscles as well as abdominal and back muscles. Working out on the stationary bike strengthens the muscles. The exercise bike has 2 strokes, the push and the pull. Pushing down strengthens the quads and pulling up strengthen the hamstring.
Ever wonder why cyclists have amazing legs? It’s because while pedaling on a stationary bike, the quads, glutes and calves work hard to propel the bike. Workout strengthens the hamstring, calves, hip flexors and quadriceps.
Lower body :
Working out improves the muscles of the front and back of the thigh. These muscles are known as the quadriceps and the hamstring. It also improves the gluteal muscles or glutes. The calf muscles or triceps sural at the back of the leg are also improved by the workout.
Upper body :
The workout helps the abdominal muscle. This muscle ensures the balance of the pelvis and the spine. It also helps to improve the back muscles which maintain the position and support the spine. It is a good workout for biceps and triceps.
Working out other than cycling like running, jogging can be hard on your joints. But the stationary bike does not put stress on the joints. It puts less stress on the back, hips, knees and ankles.
Cardio workout is for lowering high blood pressure and regulating blood sugar. This workout is also for preventing heart attacks. It makes the heart rate up without putting any stress. Riding the stationary bike for 30 minutes a day can extend your life time. Research shows that 15 minutes of working out per day on average can increase life expectancy by 3 years.
Health benefits :
Riding the stationary bike can strengthen the heart and lungs. It improves brain functionality. It helps to regulate blood pressure and improve respiratory function. Regular cycling reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It is also helpful for chronic lung disease, asthma or COPD. Cycling by lowering blood sugar levels reduces the risk of diabetes. It also lowers the cholesterol level.
Energy boosting :
A study published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics says that Cycling can improve energy levels by 20 percent. And it also can decrease fatigue by 65 percent. While cycling brain releases the neurotransmitter dopamine. This chemical is related to energy.
What is stationary bike good for?
A stationary bike is a good weight loss. It is also good for muscles and legs. Some benefits of the stationary bikes are given below:
- It helps to reduce weight and burn calories efficiently.
- Riding a stationary bike increases endurance and stamina.
- This bike keeps joint active.
- Working out on this bike burns fat.
- It Improves heart functionality.
- It Increases brain functionality.
- A stationary bike workout improves the lungs.
- It also increases life expectancy.
- It boosts cardio fitness.
- This bike strengthens the legs and the muscles.
- It is a low impact workout.
- This bike reduces diabetes.
- It lowers the level of cholesterol.
- It reduces Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- This bike helps to keeps you healthy and fit.
- It helps you live longer.
What stationary bike is best?
Every stationary bike is slightly different from one another. Each comes with different benefits. You have to choose the best stationary bike according to your fitness level, workout goals and health condition.
Recumbent bike :
One of the best bikes for working out if you have back pain or joint injuries. It is mostly suitable for elderly people.
- Takes small space
- Easy to use once you have learnt to use
- Great cardio workout and effective for lower body
- Safe and stable
- It is very expensive
- It is can only be used by seating. It cannot be used for working out by standing up.
- Larger than upright bikes.
Spin bike :
This bike is just like riding a regular bike.
- Easy to use
- Great workout for legs. It helps to relieve stress
- Low impact workout
- It can give you back pain.
Upright bike :
It is one of the most popular bikes for exercising. Working out using the upright bikes gives you feel like riding a regular outdoor bike.
- Fits anywhere and takes little space.
- Easy to use even for the beginners.
- Great workout for legs muscles
- Can be used for both standing and sitting workout
- Uncomfortable seats
- Gives stress to back and neck
- Not stable for elderly and very overweight people
Dual-action bike :
It is not like a regular outdoor bike. It is very much effective for upper body workout.
- Provide whole body workout
- Low impact workout
- Takes less space
- Easy to use
- Takes space and hard to move
- Not like a regular outdoor bike
The interactive bikes come in both upright and recumbent forms. They have built in screen or display.
- Fun to use as it contains built in video games
- Easy to use
- It provides a variety of workouts.
- Suitable for homes
- Takes space
- Some are limited. In of the bike you cannot work out by standing
Now the choice is yours! Choose the appropriate bike for you depending on your fitness level, workout goals and joint health. You can also workout on different stationary bikes at different times.
How long should you ride a stationary bike for weight loss?
How much weight you will lose for how long time depends on your current weight, age and workout intensity.
To burn calories you need to create a calorie deficit. Regular riding on the stationary bike can help you create a calorie deficit. By burning 500 calories per day, you can lose 3500 calories per week. That is you can lose 1 pound fat per week.
Note: 1 pound is equal to 3500 calories.
Work out hard and for long enough to get the best result for losing weight using the stationary bike. Research shows that you need to work out for 30 minutes a day to get health benefits. And for losing weight you need to work out for 60 to 90 minutes for 5 days a week.
By working out for 30 minutes per day for a week you can lose 1 pound of weight in a week. If you can lose 500 calories per day by exercising vigorously than you can lose your body weight more easily.
Overweight people can burn calories at faster rates by pedaling on a stationary bike. You can burn more calories by working out longer and with lots of intensity.
Workout for 4 to 5 days per week. You can burn 260 calories by exercising for 30 minutes. Again by exercising strongly you can burn about 390 calories. By exercising for 40 minutes per week you can lose 1 pound.
Every adult should workout for about 150 minutes per week. But for losing weight quickly, you need a cardio workout for at least 300 minutes per week. You need to exercise for at least 30 minutes to burn calories for five days a week.
If you can create a calories deficit of 500 to 1000 calories per week, you can lose 1 to 2 pounds per week. But it is best to lose 10 pounds a month than to lose 10 pounds a week.
Are stationary bike worth it?
Yes, it is worth it. Research on the exercise by the American council shows that by indoor cycling one can burn up to 19 calories per minute. That is 1140 calories per hour. So, that is cycling on a stationary bike is not only a good exercise but very effective and efficient for burning calories and fat.
Listen to music or watch your favorite show on television or Netflix while working out on the stationary bike. This will help you stay focused and entertained during the workout. But before starting workout consults a physician or a doctor. Be sure that you are healthy enough for the workout. Start slowly if you are a beginner. Don’t be hard on yourself. So exercise and stay healthy and fit.
I hope you have got your answer to the question of – what is stationary bike? And what is stationary bike good for?
Look for some of the best stationary bikes
- Healthrider n35 exercise bike review
- kettler giro s spin bike review
- L Now Spin Bike Reviews
- Proform recumbent bike reviews
- Schwinn active 20 recumbent bike reviews
- Xterra SB550 recumbent bike review
- XTERRA Spin Bike Review
- True es700 recumbent bike review
- Reviews for fitnation recumbent bike
- free spirit recumbent bike reviews
- Keiser M3 Spin Bike Review
- Powertrain spin bike review
- ion spin bike review
- Cybex cr 750 r recumbent bike reviews
- Exerpeutic LX7 Spin Bike Review
- Body Flex Magnetic Recumbent Bike Reviews
- NORFLEX Spin Bike SPX200 Review
- best upright exercise bike
- best exercise bike recumbent
- best exercise bike for losing weight